Tom Clancy's last book
David E. Powell
2014-01-22 03:15:10 UTC
A lot about the "New Russia."

Kind of interesting, with the turmoil in Ukraine right now, given what he put into the book about that stuff and that part of the world.

He will be missed.

David
Terminator
Do you know if that is the last one that will be published?
David E. Powell
2014-01-31 05:33:07 UTC
Post by Terminator
Post by David E. Powell
A lot about the "New Russia."
Kind of interesting, with the turmoil in Ukraine right now, given what he put into the book about that stuff and that part of the world.
He will be missed.
David
Do you know if that is the last one that will be published?
I haven't heard of any others in the pipeline, at least completed ones. Only the family would know, I guess.

The official page at https://www.facebook.com/TomClancyAuthor might have details on future projects, or ones that were already in the pipeline, if and when they come out. http://tomclancy.com/ is another official page.

Command Authority was a massive gear shift. In a way it was kind of sad, reflecting the recent slide in US/Russia relations. However it got a lot of detail in there and the inferences were very well written when looking at current politics in that part of the world.
Terminator
2014-02-01 03:03:02 UTC
Post by David E. Powell
Post by David E. Powell
A lot about the "New Russia."
Command Authority was a massive gear shift.
It was a welcome return to the original main character.

I think it was a major mistake to jump to Junior as the main character.
Cussler had a similar fail with Dirk Pitt Jr. It felt more like a spin
off than a continuation.

If Junior was the B story line during Jack's 2 terms in office it might
have been more believable when he got his own A story. Worked well for
Clark anyway.

I would have really liked a President Robby Jackson novel too.

May they all rest in peace.
Steve Silverwood
2014-02-11 22:19:45 UTC
On Thu, 23 Jan 2014 08:12:23 -0600, Terminator
Post by Terminator
Post by David E. Powell
A lot about the "New Russia."
Kind of interesting, with the turmoil in Ukraine right now, given what he put into the book about that stuff and that part of the world.
He will be missed.
David
Do you know if that is the last one that will be published?
I'm just guessing here, but it seems the last several books were
co-authored by Mark Greaney, which leads me to believe that he might
have been groomed by TC to carry on the mantle of the Ryan saga.
Again, just guessing.

//Steve//

-- //Steve//
Terminator
2014-02-13 15:31:44 UTC
Post by Terminator
Post by David E. Powell
A lot about the "New Russia."
Kind of interesting, with the turmoil in Ukraine right now, given what he put into the book about that stuff and that part of the world.
He will be missed.
David
Do you know if that is the last one that will be published?
I'm just guessing here, but it seems the last several books were
co-authored by Mark Greaney, which leads me to believe that he might
have been groomed by TC to carry on the mantle of the Ryan saga.
Again, just guessing.
//Steve//
-- //Steve//
I would hate to see the characters' story end without proper conclusion.

I would hate it more if the characters' story was ruined with
"reimaginings" like that Shadow Recruit abomination.

I wrote several stories back in the 90's just for fun and writing
practice using the Jack Ryan world but not his characters - except for
the occasional brief cameo. I guess these days it would be called fan
fiction. It was horrible stuff that could never have been published but
Mr Clancy had no sense of humor when it came to Jack Ryan Enterprises.
Lets just say he (his lawyer) enthusiastically discouraged my efforts. I
did not understand it then but I can see now how parasites might have
been surrounding him trying to make money on his creation. Shadow
Recruit is a great example of what can go wrong if you are not vigilant.

Mr. Clancy was one of my greatest mentors, in absentia of course,
showing me what could be done in the world of fiction. I hope I get to
meet him and thank him on the other side. I know several others that
were similarly inspired by him, though none of us pursue the techno
thriller genre. I wonder how many others are out there and if there is a
high school kid right now picking up HfRO for the first time and letting
TC drive them to a passion for writing. Or military/clandestine service.
Or both.
Steve Silverwood
2014-02-13 21:40:33 UTC
On Thu, 13 Feb 2014 09:31:44 -0600, Terminator
Post by Terminator
I hope I get to
meet him and thank him on the other side.
Likewise. I have to have all my TC novels in hardcover because I
re-read them so much that paperbacks don't survive the process more
than a few times. He's given me more hours of quality entertainment
than I can possibly count.

-- //Steve//
David E. Powell
2014-03-01 03:25:48 UTC
Post by Terminator
I hope I get to
meet him and thank him on the other side.
Likewise. I have to have all my TC novels in hardcover because I
re-read them so much that paperbacks don't survive the process more
than a few times. He's given me more hours of quality entertainment
than I can possibly count.
-- //Steve//
Agreed, on total hours and rereads, the best as far as I know, too, outside of the Bible.

The Ukraine situation is proving out to be playing out along eerily similar lines, now that it is farther along.